Monday, January 19, 2009

I HAVE A DREAM TOO!!!

When we hear the words "civil rights" we immediately think of slavery, Martin Luther King, Jr., and those famous words:

"I HAVE A DREAM that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: We hold these truths to be self-evident, that ALL men are created equal."


But what about the civil rights of the unborn babies? All human rights hinge on the single greatest right TO LIVE.

Today, abortion has an eerie echo with slavery... "They're not really people." Slaves were property of their owner, just like unborn babies are property of their mother. The child in the womb is considered a non-person, much like Dred Scott was (by the same ironic 7-2 vote) and thus without any civil or even human rights. One day we will look back at abortion with the same incredulity we now look at slavery.

All Catholics are taught that human dignity is foundational to our moral life. People are not things be they homeless, handicapped, or unborn. When their dignity slips, so does our humanity.

We ALL should have the same dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that ALL men are created equal."

1 comment:

Mary said...

I'm feeling it too today, Stan. Bush's last day in office? And there is a HUGE party in DC? And everywhere else? I don't get it. This humble man is not even being mentioned anywhere today for his service to our country....

And I am with you too on your thoughts on humanity. I have that same dream too.