Monday, December 22, 2008

Daily Rituals

Being an artsy-fartsy guy, I'm not one for mundane daily rituals. Christi, on the other hand, thrives off of rituals and routines. She's all about structure and organization. It's not a bad thing... I do believe the kids gain a sense of security and stability in rituals and routine (esp. in their younger years).

So every weekday morning it's nearly the same ritual. The only variation is whether the kids have school or not (feast days, holidays, etc.).

Most weekdays, when they DO have school, Christi and the kids are up, ready, and out the door while I'm still getting ready for work. They' re usually grabbing their back packs and lunches just as I'm stepping out of the shower. One of the many rituals that I try to do daily is blessing each one of them with the sign of the cross on their foreheads while whispering, "may God bless you and protect you from all evil" before they head out every morning (as well as each time I tuck them in at night). "Up in the sky real high" is a nightly ritual that deserves it's own blog post later. Another ritual I do nearly every morning is waive "bye" to all of them from the front door. The last vision I see is a big blue bus with a bunch of little hands waiving back at me. The last vision they usually see is dad standing in the doorway with a big smile, waiving "bye" in black socks, white t-shirt, and boxers. I'm sure my bright orange texas hold'em boxers will be a fond memory for all of them (esp. Christi).

But if the kids DON'T have school - like today - they follow me out the door with bare feet (no matter how cold the weather is) to race on the sidewalk along side my car as I drive away. I have many memories of looking in my rear view mirror and seeing my kids with big smiles, waiving "bye" from the light post that they ALL have to touch before racing back to the house [their rules].

One day I'm going surprise them by racing down the street next to "big blue" in my black socks, white t-shirt, and orange skivvies while waiving my arms and yelling "bye!" Now that will be a memory! Unfortunately, they'll expect me to do it every single day. Like I said, I'm not one for mundane daily rituals.

4 comments:

Mary said...

:)

I love that you use your lunch break so wisely! It makes me downright giddy!!!! :) If I worked outside the home, that's EXACTLY how I'd spend my lunch break!!!!

I never forgot that wonderful song that still gives me chills every time I hear it..... It's a favorite of mine and Keith's and we rock out to it every single Christmas. Great minds think alike, huh Stan? :)

Christi said...

Oh no you don't! If you "race" the van in your skivvies, I will slam on the brakes and back up over you! you here me dear? :o)

Mary said...

I, on the other hand, would pay money to see you running down the street like a fool.....

and then I'd blog about it, of course.

June Poz said...

Knowing my brother, Christi, remember who raised him, he'll do it now now to spite you, not the kids...HeeHee

We tend to do what others don't really want us to do. Thus "the Birthday' Song, etc..