Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Cayla's Own Little Pentecost


Last Friday, November 6th, was a very special day for our oldest daughter, Cayla. She received the Sacrament of Confirmation. We have been waiting 13 years for this...truly.

She was baptized as an infant and made a member of the Church with her father and I promising to raise her to know, love, and serve God. We have done our best and with God's abundant grace...the grace of baptism is now brought to completion. Cayla now takes on the responsibility, as a mature Christian, of continuing her formation in faith and in spreading the Gospel.

Just as the mission of the Church began at Pentecost with the Holy Spirit descending on the apostles...So too now for Cayla, the Holy Spirit has descended upon her and her mission as an apostle begins with all the graces needed to bear witness to our Faith.

The Mass was so beautiful, and very reverent and quiet, which was such a testimony to the Holy Spirit, seeing as there were about 900 people there!

The Bishop gave a beautiful homily, speaking the truths of our Faith, and reminding all those present that the grace of the Holy Spirit is within us and strengthens us for battle...for now they are true soldiers of Christ!

There were so many beautiful details...

Luke and Kolbe had the honor to serve the Holy Mass with our Bishop. Luke was selected to carry the Bishop's crosier... I'm sure he'll remember that for the rest of his life. It's a once in a lifetime experience! He asked our Blessed Mother Mary for assistance because his hands were sweating and he didn't want to drop it.

I had a huge lump in my throat when the Bishop (a direct descendant of the original Apostles that walked with Christ) anointed Cayla's forehead with the Holy chrism oil and said, "Rita, Be sealed with the Holy Spirit". Christ's hands laid upon the heads of the first Apostles... they've passed along this anointing for over two-thousand years! I had been praying and sacrificing all week for a very special grace for our daughter and I believe He gave it to her.

Cayla worked and prayed hard this past year, volunteering at the Church, researching her patron Saint (St. Rita), and overall making sure she was prepared to take this next step...I am so proud of her and the young woman of Faith, she is becoming..

May God continue to guide and bless your every step, my precious daughter


Cayla with her Godparents (Grampy and Grandma) and the Bishop, of course :o)


Cayla with her sponsor, and my friend, Julie

1 comment:

June Poz said...

What a special day for you Cayla!! I wish I would have known, but God has surrounded you with loving and faithful parents and siblings. You are touched by many blessings and cintinue to have the strength of your faith.

Love Aunt June